Founded in 2009 in Southern New Jersey by Dean Mainardi, Only the Best Builder, LLC specializes in residential roofing and remodeling, but also works on structural repairs and damage caused by storms. The company has one office in West Berlin, NJ with nine full-time employees. Dean began Only the Best Builder because the construction industry had gone to all contract work and he was concerned about the quality people were getting. Dean’s family had been doing construction for decades and he wanted to offer residents a team of employees they could trust from the beginning to the end of the job with no outsourcing of employees.
Dean quickly realized how much the legal environment had changed since his father or grandfather had run a construction business, which led to a host of potential risk-related issues. Dean certainly wasn’t an expert on employment or tax laws, nor did he want to spend hours fine tuning payroll.
One of the biggest problems Dean encountered was obtaining affordable workers’ compensation insurance. The insurance companies all wanted the money in one chunk during the time of the year his business was the slowest. He really needed a pay-as-you go plan.
Dean started shopping for affordable insurance and a place he could bundle all the services he and his employees needed. He chose FrankCrum because of the affordable workers’ compensation premiums and flexible payment options in addition to a broad range of other HR-related services.
- Only the Best started with basic bundled services that included workers’ compensation insurance, payroll, payroll reporting and HR management support.
- Only the best is interested in adding healthcare and 401(k) benefits in the future.
Dean now refers to FrankCrum as his one-stop-shop for all employment-related support. Results of the relationship include:
- Save time and money: The administrative fee is a fraction of what it would cost to staff full time employees in the areas of HR, payroll and insurance. Dean says he was spending 20-percent of his time managing workers’ compensation hassles and audits, time he now has back to focus on customers and training employees. He calls the FrankCrum model “totally simplified,” and says processing payroll takes less than ten minutes on his end.
- Attract and retain talent: Employees find value in the partnership with FrankCrum because they receive their pay on time and accurately. They all receive direct deposits and are able to view their pay stubs and W-2s online. The partnership makes Only the Best Builder more competitive in the hiring landscape.
- HR support and guidance: As the company grows, Dean relies on the experts at FrankCrum for things like policies and employee handbooks. In one instance, he called FrankAdvice for guidance on wage and hour laws and made an important change in the way he paid employees because of it. It’s information he says he would have struggled to master without the HR experts at FrankCrum.
- Freedom to Grow: Using FrankCrum as an arm of his company has allowed Only the Best Builder to be more efficient and competitive in the construction market. The partnership has already allowed Dean to generate more work and hire more employees.
- Reduce Risk and Liability: Dean says because of FrankCrum’s support, he doesn’t have to worry about whether he’s handling employee-related tasks like hiring, firing or payroll correctly. Having the ability to ask for guidance relative to unemployment and other issues is an advantage.
- Consistently Compliant: FrankCrum has alleviated concerns about worker’s compensation and payroll compliance.